Price Of Beetles

In the fast growing hobby of beetle breeding, the prices of beetles could be quite pricey. I know for sure my collection wasn't cheap at all. For instance, one man wanted me to pay 450 USD to purchase a particular beetle. However, I refused. How much money would you pay for a particular pair of beetles?

There are a lot of open ends to this.

I'm guessing you are talking about live insects since you mentioned breeding.

It just depends how rare they are and if they have unique characteristics. If it's an extremely commonly breed species then the prices is naturally going to drop since sellers are going to drop there prices to make theirs more desired than other sellers.

There are species though that aren't as available. Use the U.S. Megasoma species for example. They always demand high prices because they are rare and most time people don't want to sell them because it will lower their profits if the species becomes common in the hobby.

What species were you offered that kind of money for?

For most beetles I would also pay no more than $50. For darklings I would be hesitant to pay more than $6 per beetle, because darkling beetles are usually not too hard to find or breed. And the darkling beetle hobby is small right now.

I have paid 750USD for one pair of beetles. It just depends on how serious you are, how rare the beetles are, and how much money you have. I have made a lot of money selling beetles, and paired with a job makes buying beetles easier.

Some beetles are only caught by one or a few individuals on the planet, in other cases only a few beetles of certain species are known to even exist!

• 2 weeks later...

$200 for a pair of ♂83 - 85mm - ♀53mm Trypoxylus dichotomus politus, $300 for a pair of ♂73mm - ♀37+mm Trypoxylus dichotomus tsuchiyai, $200 for a pair of ♂91mm - ♀54mm Trypoxylus dichotomus dichotomus if i can find a pair that is, and $200 for a pair of Dhb. As for Dhh it will cost me $20,000 yuan to hire two experience animal guide going with me to get some ( WC Hainan variety of Dhh ) as some guys may know, these variety is most difficult to get your hands on, i'm probably not going to get my money back on, but i'm doing this so i can say i've done it. My bugs may not all be at high quality, but as for 2016 i will be focus on genetic variety of genuine true quality rather than talk quality, that seen to be what the worlds trend moving towards. So what is the total price tag for me to get ( WC Hainan variety of Dhh ) WELL do your math ( $20,000 yuan + Equipments + 2-3 months extra rent + inland travel costs + rissking my life $.97 cents ) airfare price not included. If you wondering why it takes 2-3 months, because i'm doing some survey for future genetic variety collecting etc.

Thank you guys for the wonderful comment, but i have not make up my mind yet. As for the china trip it's not as expansive as it sound, because i go to asia from time to time anyway, that is the reason why i did not include airfare as an expense and i could just hire one person instead of two. But the good news is that i could almost have complete control on ( Dorcus hopei hopei & other species found in china, like Dorcus grandis grandis ) down to the area, since i will be the person who is actually doing the collecting. i agree the Dhh post is humorous :lol:

Thank you guys for the wonderful comment, but i have not make up my mind yet. As for the china trip it's not as expansive as it sound, because i go to asia from time to time anyway, that is the reason why i did not include airfare as an expense and i could just hire one person instead of two. But the good news is that i could almost have complete control on ( Dorcus hopei hopei & other species found in china, like Dorcus grandis grandis ) down to the area, since i will be the person who is actually doing the collecting. i agree the Dhh post is humorous :lol:

Now the real question is how would you bring the specimens out of the country when D. h. hercules is protected under law.

• 1 month later...

Now the real question is how would you bring the specimens out of the country when D. h. hercules is protected under law.

A problem need to be solved. Any one got any ideas, i am all ears. but that is a Cool Idea B) ha ha

• 7 years later...
On 7/27/2015 at 5:00 AM, stagtacus said:

A problem need to be solved. Any one got any ideas, i am all ears. but that is a Cool Idea B) ha ha

I know nothing about bug collecting or hobbies, I have watch animes that talk about hercules beetles being valuable and I wanted to see if it was true...Anywaysss, why can't you just put the bug in a pill bottle and take it w/ you on the airplane (or mail it to yourself, like next day air). I mean it's not like what they do to exotic birds in Africa, they put like 100 birds in a large map cylinder w/ the expectation of 90-98 percent dying, but the thousands of dollars they make per bird is worth it. (don't get me started on the Ivory trade, and how the elephants males no longer have large tusks, they are like branch size now a days.....oh I did get started on the Ivory trade, my bad)

Anyway, you every go to China??

I am just getting back into the hobby after some years and have been searching for golofa eacus to start my collection of species I want to build up. Put a post on faunaclassifieds just a week back and paid 435$ for 9 larvae. Unfortunately it was a scam and got ripped off completely. $435 was a few months saving as I don't make much housekeeping but that is what I was willing to pay for the beetles I'm after. I would have probably paid the same for an adult pair.