Domino roach tank size?

Betta132

I'd like to have a small colony of domino roaches that has some hope of breeding. I don't need them to really multiply, but I'd like them to have enough space that they don't chew on each other. Since they're so pretty, I'd like to have them in more of a decorative tank than the usual utilitarian tubs, maybe something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/152259278388?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=451452781053&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT or http://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Pet-Cockroach-Deco-Cube-Habitat-bic183.htm . Would either of those work for something like half a dozen roaches? I'd put plenty of climbing sticks in, I'm just not sure how active these guys are.

Here's the thing about Therea, the adults are pretty short lived, and the nymphs take an incredibly long time to mature, so if you want to see adults for more than a few months, you definitely want them to breed.

The first enclosure may work for a while, but eventually, once your adults have bred and their babies are close to maturity, you'll want to get a bigger one. However that'll probably be in a few years, depending on how old your founding individuals are once you get them, so it's not an immediate concern.

OK, cool. Thanks!

How exactly does one tell if roaches are overcrowded? Just look in the tank and see if they're bumping into each other a lot? Look for nibbled appendages? Or is it one of those things where it's hard to explain but you learn to recognize it?

OK, cool. Thanks!

How exactly does one tell if roaches are overcrowded? Just look in the tank and see if they're bumping into each other a lot? Look for nibbled appendages? Or is it one of those things where it's hard to explain but you learn to recognize it?

No problem! :)

If the substrate is completely filled with roaches and there are a whole bunch them on the surface of the substrate trying to get out, and there is a lot of cannibalism and wing/antenna biting, then they are probably overcrowded. It is a bit hard to explain but you'll probably notice it once you see it.