Exciting news I must share...(so sorry for the long read)

Hey everybody,

Not sure how to start this but I will try to keep it light...

At a young age insects (well arthropods as a whole really) brought me great joy. I was fascinated with every find and excited to go out and find more. As I got older however, I began to feel they were of no use to me if I wanted to "grow up". My only real hero in the field was, and still is (although there are more now) David Attenborough, but I grew tired of the constant bullying I received because I was such a "creep" and "weirdo". Nobody ever came along to show me how vital my role could have been in the field, even my science teachers did little to encourage me, I didn't know entomology existed. Everyone thought they were creepy why would anyone or should I continue with them? By high school I was lost. I had taken to computers and was top of my class, but I hated it. Around this time I was diagnosed with depression among other things. I graduated and skipped college to work, what was I gonna go to college for anyway?! What began was a 14 year "career" working my butt off at various jobs that meant nothing more than a paycheck. My longest, was a 7 year stint building police cars...never liked cars...never liked electronics...hated the job. But as was the norm for me I excelled at it, getting a promotion after 5 months and 3 raises in my first year. I continued to thrive there but was inwardly so far gone, and began to sink deeper into depression, ultimately turning to drugs and alcohol. Needless to say I lost that job when my drinking got out of control. After that I bounced around from job to job...where do we go from here?

That's my dirt...sorry to put it out there but now to where the sun shines, bear with me please.

A couple months ago I came across bugsincyberspace.com...having some disposable income I decided it was time for a new pet, throughout those dark days I'd had various lizards etc... they kept me going. When my first order arrived the child inside me came back to life. I cried. Digging for information on my new little friends (my BDFs), I came across beetleforum. A lot of you seemed really thrilled about your bug friends to a level that most people find creepy (no offense guys). Maybe I was on to something. I joined, jumped in on a few conversations with what little I could say, and you all responded to me with so much warmth. Not only did I feel accepted, but it was acceptance into a world that I should have long been a part of...I'd been accepted into circles before, but always felt like an outsider and it was always trouble. Since coming to this site and joining, I have been able to remain sober. I've been occupying so much of my time reading all of your posts, doing some of my own research, hunting for bugs, and caring for my pet bugs; as well as occupying my mind so much with insects that I don't even think about drugs and alcohol. I finally feel happy...

...and I'm proud to say me and my pet bugs will soon be hitting the road with some shows to the local scouts in my area. I will also be working with local environmental groups with the goal of getting kids interested and educated. In the next few days I will be putting together a blog, so the kids can follow me and continue their interest in insects...here's where you all come in! :D

I would like to compile some photos/information from around the world of various insects, and I know you all have the goods. Primarily I'm looking for "backyard bugs" if you will, but also plan to have a section called "friends with beetles" where I welcome you to show off your larvae, beetles, pupae, whatever (just make sure all subjects are properly identified, as I am not good with classification and you guys are all so awesome :)). It will all go through me as to not inundate the blog with too much for the kids. PM me for further contact information on the subject. Once up and running I will be doing contests and giveaways for things like picture of the week etc. that will be open to all of you, as well as contests that are scout only.

I will stop rambling...contact me if you're interested.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you all. You have all been an inspiration to me.

I'm glad to hear it, buddy. Good for you! I'm glad you discovered our accepting and supportive community and turned your life around. Best of luck with your new blog and reaching out to the kids. :)

I would say that critters are essential to one's well-being. I find myself needing to be around animals when I'm feeling down. Glad to see you found something that is beneficial for you, and fun and fulfilling as well!

I don't care what people think of me, so if they think insect-keeping or even being fond of insects is weird, tough. I like being weird, actually.

I'm in the middle of a career change myself so I know what it's like to dislike your job. It looks like now your hobbies are taking you somewhere productive and you can find enjoyment in educating instead of a forced lackluster job.

Congratulations on staying sober. Good luck on your blog! Sounds like fun. Let us know when it's up and running!

My friends and family ask me what use these insects are to me, some people will never appreciate certain things.

I think it is a blessing to enjoy the insect hobby, it is such a cheap hobby to have, and so many varieties to collect and study.

Good luck with your project!

I was in that same boat for a while when pursuing an undergraduate degree. I have always been interested in insects and arachnids, so I had hoped to work with them. A teacher told me that entomology was a dying field and that a generic biology degree would serve me best. I was very disappointed because it meant I wouldn't be able to pursue the career I really wanted and that my subject of interest didn't seem to mean anything in the real world. But I'm the one laughing now that I'm in a graduate program for entomology (though I study ticks instead of beetles)

I got used to being called the weird kid (what can I say, I enjoyed my inverts :) ), though there were people that would squish spiders and ask if I was going to cry or start freaking out. Never did, there are always more spiders lol.

I'm glad you've been able to really connect with your beetles/other inverts and talk with the people on here as well. This is a great hobby with some amazing people in it. And what better way to share the passion then to do outreach and show kids and adults how cool our hobby is?

Enjoy your outreach and I would be more than happy to send you some of my photos :)

I used to have a business doing educational bug shows for schools, birthday parties and other special events.

I would always bring bug books and throw in a pitch to encourage kids to read. Tell them that one reason I was so knowledgeable about bugs was because of reading. Teachers loved it and the cool thing was, that it was true.

So . . . if you can cover shipping I would be glad to send you a few bug books that I don't use often. They are field guides and such. Field guides are gems for learning about natural habitats food and life styles of inverts.

Thank you all so much!

And I'm right with you Acro, field guides were like my bibles growing up, I spent hours reading and looking at pictures, and I certainly like your idea to pitch reading. :)

The more positive feedback I get from you guys the better it feels (and it felt pretty great before I told all of you what I was doing).

I certainly will have exciting opportunities for all of you once the site is up and running, so keep that in mind. :D

I know where you're coming from. When I was little the first obsession I ever had was insects. I was in the yard looking for them since I was 2. Turning over stones and playing with the pill bugs. I had this great insect book my parents bought me and my favorite insect was Lucanus elaphus. Everyday I was in my backyard looking for lucanus elaphus even though I didn't know at the time that they didn't live in my state lol. In the first grade my teacher called my parents to the school. She told them she thought there was something wrong with me because at recess I wouldn't play with any of the kids and instead I was out catching bugs in the fields.

I got back into insects in around 2010. For me, catching and keeping bugs brings lots of joy in my life just like it did when I was a kid. It's one of the few activities I have left that take me away from my problems and stress. It is sad we live in a society where a person who loves insects and nature is considered weird. I don't want to sound like an old man (I'm only 26) but I hate how our nation's youth is becoming. Many kids nowadays prefer to just sit indoors playing video games or watch tv and it's now considered the norm.

Im glad to be part of a community where we can all share our thoughts, knowledge and ideas about beetles and other insects. And I hope that someday the beetle enthusiast community in the US can grow almost or just as big as the beetle enthusiast community in Asia.

• 8 months later...

I had almost the same experience as you. Partying all of the time and doing drugs takes a toll on a humans body and after a while you realize that it doesn't help with depression. It only masks your feelings and this made it worse for me. When I became sober from everything (besides coffee) I realized what made me truly happy. This was skateboarding, finger boarding, and animals. I got into beetles the most when my tattoo artist first got a major pair of Dynastes Tityus and I saw a picture of them. It was at this time my interest for beetles sparked and months later I am a Coleoptera finatic. I must say that having something to care for along with worrying about self pleasure helps your overall attitude in the long run.

• 5 months later...

I found this thread while searching for posts/comments about Dynastes tityus. I just wanted to say congratulations on getting sober, and as a brand new member I'm so happy to see how welcoming this place is. I too was interested in bugs from a young age. Unlike you I was encouraged to pursue it (my dad was a science teacher), and I even got accepted to a university to study entomology right out of high school, but I led myself down the wrong path and chose not to go. I still regret that to this day. Now, ten years later, I'm about to transfer from community college to a 4 year university to study entomology. So glad you found your passion! If you're still running your blog I'd love a link... my son is just getting interested in bugs and I want to do everything I can to encourage that!