Larva I found under a log

jreidsma

i think its darkling but im pretty new to bugs so dont trust on me 100% on this... :D i think click beetle has a little red body then meal worm type beetles... atleast to my area click beetles...

i think its darkling but im pretty new to bugs so dont trust on me 100% on this... :D i think click beetle has a little red body then meal worm type beetles... atleast to my area click beetles...

I hope they are some sort of darkling :D Other than Tenebrio molitor anyways ;) I already have a colony of those :P;)

I am assuming that either way they should like carrots and whatever my mealworms and Eleodes will eat.

Definately click beetle larvae. They prey on other insects so keeping them is somewhat hard unless you have plenty of insects to feed them.

I don't really have a lot of nsects that I could feed them, well, I do have some of those little tiny bean weevils but I doubt the larva would eat those.

I don't really have a lot of nsects that I could feed them, well, I do have some of those little tiny bean weevils but I doubt the larva would eat those.

Click beetle larvae are opportunistic predators or scavengers, if something like a beetle pupa or a dead beetle turns up in front of them they will eat it. Best way to rear something like this out is to keep it in a small container in fairly moist substrate and give it a small bit of dry cat food / cat crunchies - they will happily eat stuff like this.

Click beetle larvae are opportunistic predators or scavengers, if something like a beetle pupa or a dead beetle turns up in front of them they will eat it. Best way to rear something like this out is to keep it in a small container in fairly moist substrate and give it a small bit of dry cat food / cat crunchies - they will happily eat stuff like this.

I may have to try that, just put some dry cat food in the substrate?

Would I need to worry about separating the larva?

I may have to try that, just put some dry cat food in the substrate?

Would I need to worry about separating the larva?

Yes - just fill a small tube of container and poke a bit of dry cat food down the side - a small bit. Don't worry too much about mould unless it starts taking over the whole tube, the larva will eat that too.

I would keep them separate. They don't make solid pupal cells and one larva would happily eat the others pupa.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in! I found some wireworms not too long ago and have them in a container with millipedes and Surinam roaches. I will separate them into their own containers.

I have had some before, but never had them pupate. I ended up releasing them after a couple of months.

The wireworms I have now are larger than the ones I had before, surely over an inch!

Is it just me or do they take forever?

I'm in! I found some wireworms not too long ago and have them in a container with millipedes and Surinam roaches. I will separate them into their own containers.

I have had some before, but never had them pupate. I ended up releasing them after a couple of months.

The wireworms I have now are larger than the ones I had before, surely over an inch!

Is it just me or do they take forever?

Mine are either dead, or prepupa. They are stiff and curled a little bit but not dark colored or anything.

the surinam roaches sound pretty cool :) What are you feeding them?

This is my first time keeping these wireworms, so I don't know if they take a long time or not.

I feed the "community enclosure" pond sticks, occasionally other fish foods, fruits and veggies,and sometimes small amounts of dry oatmeal(oatmeal molds over quickly).

They are kept in the sandy substrate in which they were found. It has alot of other organic material in it which I assume is eaten as well.

There are other creatures in there as well, isopods, springtails, and tiny centipedes.

I think that I will keep some isopods and springtails with the wireworms, and feed them fish food to start.

Pycnoscelus surinamensis are a fun roach to have, but there is a downside.

They are great escape artists and can mysteriously be found in other roach cultures. They can also be a plant pot pest if you have plants in the house. The ones that are found here are parthenogenic and it only takes one to start a colony.

I love them but they aren't for everyone.:D

Sounds like something I will likely avoid ;)

My other passion is plants. I have many exotic plants and some nearly extinct in the wild.

I just thought I would warn you. lol

About the wireworms. I have found stiff wireworms before, I am pretty sure that they were dead but the color stays the same. I think that they dried out.

I will be sure keep better care of the ones that I have now.

The ones that I had that died, just came with the substrate that I collected other bugs from and I forgot about them being in the container of substrate. :(

Hmm... I guess its a learning experience then. There isn't any info online that I could find about breeding click beetles.

maybe I will put them in the incubation chamber with my Eleodes, its 80%+ humidity in there,

Hmm... I guess its a learning experience then. There isn't any info online that I could find about breeding click beetles.

maybe I will put them in the incubation chamber with my Eleodes, its 80%+ humidity in there,

I'd keep them separate or you may find they will eat Elodes pupae - click beetle larvae are fairly generalist feeders.

There isn't much on line about them because they are very rarely reared or bred. I have found 1 published article dealing with the breeding of a very rare UK species which is the subject of a conservation project, the breeding notes effectivley say "we put them in a tank with a load of the prefered substrate and left them for several months, then we found larvae". I have had a couple of attempts with another large UK species and have had no luck either this year or last year, though I have a few ideas now of how a breeding / laying tank might be - perhaps next year....

I'd keep them separate or you may find they will eat Elodes pupae - click beetle larvae are fairly generalist feeders.

There isn't much on line about them because they are very rarely reared or bred. I have found 1 published article dealing with the breeding of a very rare UK species which is the subject of a conservation project, the breeding notes effectivley say "we put them in a tank with a load of the prefered substrate and left them for several months, then we found larvae". I have had a couple of attempts with another large UK species and have had no luck either this year or last year, though I have a few ideas now of how a breeding / laying tank might be - perhaps next year....

Thank you for sharing!

Please keep us updated.