My Beetles

dcheath

I think the first one is Zopherus nodulosus, so yes it would be some sort of ironclad beetle.

The second looks like some sort of Eleodes or something similar.

Everyone seems to have a different way of doing it, but I will tell you how I do it as it works for me.

I use 6 quart Sterilite containers (the little shoe box like ones, they are about 13 and 3/8 inches by 8 and 1/4 inches by 4 7/8 inches. I have fourteen beetles in there living happily and healthy.

For substrate I mix coconut coir and sand. About 50-50 if I am remembering correctly.

I feed them assorted fruits and dry foods. Carrots, apples, peaches, figs, raisins, hermit crab food, fish food, cat food, oats, cricket food, pretty much anything you can think of.

If you are expecting babies, then make sure to submerge a carrot in the substrate. Because if my substrate mix has a fault, it is that it has no value for the larva. I pull the larva and put them into their own little containers when I see them though and feed them the dry foods and carrots I give the adults.

Hope that helped somewhat :)

Everyone seems to have a different way of doing it, but I will tell you how I do it as it works for me.

I use 6 quart Sterilite containers (the little shoe box like ones, they are about 13 and 3/8 inches by 8 and 1/4 inches by 4 7/8 inches. I have fourteen beetles in there living happily and healthy.

For substrate I mix coconut coir and sand. About 50-50 if I am remembering correctly.

I feed them assorted fruits and dry foods. Carrots, apples, peaches, figs, raisins, hermit crab food, fish food, cat food, oats, cricket food, pretty much anything you can think of.

If you are expecting babies, then make sure to submerge a carrot in the substrate. Because if my substrate mix has a fault, it is that it has no value for the larva. I pull the larva and put them into their own little containers when I see them though and feed them the dry foods and carrots I give the adults.

Hope that helped somewhat :)

Cool, thanks! What about temps.? I gave him some of the mixed greens and carrots today, that I give my baby tortoises, but I haven't seen him eat.

I caught them in Georgetown. In fact I caught another pair today.

This beetle eludes me and yet it seems to be all over the place. Oh well, tomorrow is another day! :lol:

If you set up something bigger, or something like I mentioned then maybe you will get some larva :D

I'm setting them up in a 5 gal tank. As of today I now have 3.4. Caught another pair today. I'll give yoour suggestions a try.

I'm setting them up in a 5 gal tank. As of today I now have 3.4. Caught another pair today. I'll give yoour suggestions a try.

A five gallon tank with be plenty room for them :D

Hope they do well :) Eleodes are fun beetles to keep.

Thank you for the kind offer! I think most of my bad luck is bug hunting with a 4 and 3 year old. It's ok, school starts on Monday!! :D

Thank you for the kind offer! I think most of my bad luck is bug hunting with a 4 and 3 year old. It's ok, school starts on Monday!! :D

I've been roach hunting the past couple of days with my 5 year old, but we did pretty good. I did catch one more Eleodes today. I now have 4 pair. Let me know if you want any. I'll be in Austin on Saturday probably.