Oryctes nasicornis development

ando

• 1 year later...

Good luck with your breeding because i tried this year again and I again failed. Maybe someone or something want's to show me that I'm no good with live animals and I just should just collect them. :P

Good luck with your breeding because i tried this year again and I again failed.

Maybe someone or something want's to show me that I'm no good with live animals and I just should just collect them. :P

thanks ! well, here in tropical place it is surely much easier to take care of them than say ... in Tallin ! ;)

Good luck with your breeding because i tried this year again and I again failed. Maybe someone or something want's to show me that I'm no good with live animals and I just should just collect them. :P

Try getting some Xylotrupes gideon for something easy, those should be readily available at low prices in Europe. Oryctes are common beetles but I wouldn't say they're that easy to keep. Our Zyloryctes are extremely difficult to rear and they more common than dirt in the right places. D. tityus on the other hand aren't easy to find even in the right places but they're easy to keep.

talking X. gideon - got them today as a free gift ! :)

3 mails and 2 females. luckily I've stockpiled the sugar-cane this weekend. so, as soon as I received them - I've given them sugar cane to chew on. they are munching non-stop. one female though prefers jelly

very quite little fellas these guys.

in North Thailand practically in each and every house you walk in or pass by you can see at least one of these beetles sitting on a stick of sugar cane, tied up to it by horn. they seems to be totally oblivious to everything around them - as long as they are able to chew on their sugar cane ! and their grip on it is very firm. they are like sugar-care narcs if not worse. :D

in some houses they keep several of them, a pride and honor so to say and cherish them no less than Isaan people (NE Thais) take care of their fighting cocks. so, the best fighter-beetles are like the prestige and glory of the owner. and oh boy - do they fight ! perhaps only mushi-king championships in Japan can rival the whole rage of Gideon competition there in North Thailand towns and marketplaces. :)

here are some photos as an illustration of my story about X. gideon :

(taken from Thai Forum)

by the way, keeping them so outside house is also a sort of trap for females (who come to mate at night) and even rival males,

who probably come to get a bite of sugar cane and get engaged into fight with a rival found already chewing there !

so, these fellas often fight till morning - and owner comes out and simply catches the newcomer too. :D

this is how they keep their prized fighter-beetles just on the porch of house:

p1020070.jpg

each beetle is tied up by top horn, with other end of thread tied to pin stuck into the cane stalk:

p1020076.jpg

although I suspect very much that thread probably isn't even needed, coz these guys seems to be totally focused on chewing their sugar cane ! :)

p1020079.jpg

kids watching their fighter beetles fight:

p1020080.jpg

notice the stick boy holds behind his beetle !

interestingly, sound of rubbing this stick against other surface sort of urges fighter beetle to attack !

I guess this sound is similar to the sound X. gideon itself makes when expressing agitation or aggression

p1020081x.jpg

(even one of my smaller female X. gideon yesterday was protesting so loudly when I disturbed her because I tried to make few photos ! :) )

the author of this story (in the mentioned Thai Forum) says that he has visited the place of fighter-beetle competition, and the best fighters can be size of 70mm and fetch 750 Baht (which is 22$US)

- these are sort of champions ! :) taking into consideration that normally even large (70+ mm) Indonesian dried specimens are sold max for $3-4, as well as comparing average local Thai prices for everyday normal necessities (food, etc) and the income level (especially for villagers !) - 750 Baht is HUGE amount !

I am explaining this to emphasize the point of - how prized the good fighter beetles are in North Thailand. well, but of course: because this beetles fighting is a HUGE gambling pastime, and the proud owner of champ beetle can get A LOT of money thanks to his pet from all those competitions. and of course, unlike fighter-roosters, fighter-beetles are much smaller and easier / cheaper to keep and take care of ! ;)

How long does the development take? Is it different for males and females?

frankly speaking - I don't know, because this is first time I've got them. but normally in the wild they would have 1 year cycle I guess and now during rainy season they are active (mating, laying eggs) and then in Nov-Dec will probably die or those species which live longer - I guess will go to "sleep" (hibernate).

these small beetles X. gideon I think take 1 year cycle. I'll check in some literature and confirm it to you.

• 2 months later...

I im from portugal and here there are lots of Oryctes nasicornis in the summer i would like to learn a litle about how to take care of them if someone could help me please i dont even know what they eat

Adults eat sugary fluids. Females lay eggs in rotten wood. Larvae feed on rotten wood and decomposing leaves. There are a few books on rearing rhinoceros beetles such as:

DtityusBookCover.jpg

FLRS2ndEditionBig.jpg