Eleodes hispilabris

Eleodes hispilabris

This is my fem. Eleodes hispilabris. I also have a male, but they have not mated. I have fed them meat ,fruit, and even some leaves... why are they not breeding?

post-8820-0-59469200-1504547995_thumb.jpg

They are eating hermit crab meat, oak leaves, and grapes at the moment.

That's a major male eleodes spinipes, not hispilabris, that's prolly why they aren't breeding

So that is not an ovipositer?

post-8820-0-35805500-1504578083_thumb.jpg

So the fem. Eleodes Hispilabris is slightly hairy on abdomen?

When i went to White Sands, New Mexico, I saw many Eleodes hispilabris males, and only a couple of these

I think that the way to sex hispilabris is that males (I think) have a tibial spine, and females are more rounded. The one you're showing us , that structure is actually an elytral sword that males use to fight over females

OK, first of all, you have Eleodes caudiferis, not Eleodes hispilabris or spinipes. :) A very nice and somewhat uncommon species, both sexes have long, caudal extensions of the elytras, (mucros, as they are also known), those are not ovipositors. Males have longer mucros than females and are also thinner.

attachicon.gifdownsfcvh.JPG

So the fem. Eleodes Hispilabris is slightly hairy on abdomen?

This picture of mine showcases a female Eleodes longipilosus, not an Eleodes hispilabris. E.longipilosus are similar to E.caudiferis, but have shorter mucros and are covered in hair.

These are real Eleodes hispilabris. Males and females look basically the same, males are just usually a bit smaller and thinner. Size can be quite variable though, and is not always a good way to tell the sexes of E.hispilabris apart.

Additionally, for food, you should offer your Eleodes dog/cat food, fruits and veggies, some crumbled up decaying hardwood leaf litter may help induce oviposition. Make sure there is always a moist corner in the enclosure as well, as females sometimes need moist substrate to oviposit in.

Ok, so I've had my Eleodes beetles for about two and 1/2 months now. Whenever I lift the lid of my tank, they go into the defense position, at the exact same time (lol). I try to get them to let out their offensive smell by teasing them, but all they do is run away. Do all Eleodes beetles let out this defensive smell? Is this the only reason for the "defense position?"

Ok, so I've had my Eleodes beetles for about two and 1/2 months now. Whenever I lift the lid of my tank, they go into the defense position, at the exact same time (lol). I try to get them to let out their offensive smell by teasing them, but all they do is run away. Do all Eleodes beetles let out this defensive smell? Is this the only reason for the "defense position?"

Well some Eleodes species excrete a defensive fluid when they do their "headstand", and other Eleodes species can't actually produce any defensive fluids, but they mimic the ones that can and just do the headstand, which many predators have learned is a sign to stay away!

I know this is not Eleodes (definitely, lol), but can anyone identify it?

post-8820-0-28724200-1505087323_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...