The Ultimate Guide to Breeding Beetles, Coleoptera Laboratory Culture Methods

Dynastes

Hey, Orin, I do find it possible for your book to succeed. As soon as I get a copy (when I'm back from FL) I'll give it a read and then spread the word about it on my page! I really would love to help you out. I think beetle breeding could become popular in the US, as it is in Japan (and other asian countries).

I'd be willing to help you out in any way possible.

Maybe some mass advertising to groups around FaceBoo groups that fall into your potential following crowd? I don't know. :rolleyes:

I really would like to make the US a beetle breeding place, where one can drive a few miles to find another beetle breeder to trade with. That's the goal. B) AT LEAST...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as this hardback thing goes... maybe if this book really takes off, you can release a 2nd edition with a hardback cover and some new content (I have some Dorcus parallelus I could lend you this time if they are not in this one).

I KNOW this is far fetched for now... but if this book meets your goals, then it is something to think about. B)

Hell... I'd buy it!!! :P

Hey, Orin, I do find it possible for your book to succeed.

Thanks Ryan I appreciate any help you can provide. I think the book is successful because it exists, it's a labor of love and I'm very happy with it. I didn't think I'd ever see something in full color and large format and not stapled together. I was only saying the sales will likely contintue to be very dismal, so far only two copies sold and both to my friends. It would be great to sell a thousand of them and be able to print them in a more cost effective manner but it's just not possible without a large investment and is realistically impossible after the fact (you couldn't unmake and unsell to redo). I guess it would be like working a decade to get to the olympics and being excited to even qualify but your family just says you shouldn't even go if you're not going to get the gold medal. I think we should be able to be proud of our accomplishments even if we aren't the superstar. I think the beetle guides have greatly helped the hobby over the years as before there wasn't anyone keeping beetles. Lastly, hardcovers normally preceed softcovers, I don't know if it ever has worked the other way.

Page for beetle book with sample pages and links for purchase.

It's up on Amazon and Barnes & Noble but not on Amazon.uk or the book depository yet. You could e-mail the publisher and ask. I don't know.

It's up on book depository and nile.au but on amazon.uk it just made it on the list but is not yet available.

• 1 month later...

Hi Orin, hard covers don't cost that much extra. You'd be surprised.

Johnboy, you may have been right though not in a mass production China option. The publisher mentioned there's a brand new printing process that makes color printing much cheaper, so much so that the price could be dropped, and hard cover added if it looks good (the final product may not be of decent quality and the paper has to be thinner for the machinery). The price would be even lower in paperback but I'd prefer to see it redone in hardcover. Of course the edition would need a new ISBN, reworked base file and license but it would be really nice if it works out.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is this Book so good ?

Is ths different to For the Love Stag /Rhinoceros Beetle ?

Greetings,

Mashku.

This book is good because it includes sections on rhinoceros and stag beetles as well as greatly expanded and updated information on flower beetles and jewel scarabs as well as chapters on rearing darkling and dung beetles and other groups. It is a much more comprehensive book written also for people who don't have access to mat, mushroom log, and other store bought supplies.

It is very different from the Love of stag book since only the sections on flower and jewel scarabs in that book were written in 1999 by the same author and they are greatly expanded on here (the same author's chapter in For the Love on Phileurini is pared down). Various interesting groups are included and the concentration is on the Eastern Hercules beetle versus the South American Hercules in the rhino section.

The hardcover version is now listed at Amazon.com and is presently on sale and qualifies for free shipping. The HC version is less expensive than paperback because the paperback had premium color printing and thicker paper while this is a less expensive color print option.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-Guide-Breeding-Beetles/dp/1616461322/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1345713126&sr=8-3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wooh, finally got it! Fantastic book! Very comprehensive, easy to read and full of great info on even some of the least common species. Not to mention all the awesome color photos! A little depressing though personally, not because the book lacks anything (quite the opposite!), but after reading it seems that I'm a little more limited on the species I can rear with maple (my only readily accessible native hardwood) :( All in all this is a fantastic book (WELL worth the money) and I recommend it to any serious hobbyist or anyone with even a slight interest in beetles! Thank you Orin! :D

Wooh, finally got it! Fantastic book! Very comprehensive, easy to read and full of great info on even some of the least common species. Not to mention all the awesome color photos! A little depressing though personally, not because the book lacks anything (quite the opposite!), but after reading it seems that I'm a little more limited on the species I can rear with maple (my only readily accessible native hardwood) :( All in all this is a fantastic book (WELL worth the money) and I recommend it to any serious hobbyist or anyone with even a slight interest in beetles! Thank you Orin! :D

I've head good things about the oak wood pellets made by Trager as being an acceptable form of wood compost, once well rotted. Downside: you have to buy a lot of it if you're buying online.

• 3 months later...

I really love this book. I just got the hardcover a bit ago and have been thumbing through it since, after devouring the entirety of its contents in an afternoon. If it wasn't for it, I wouldn't have felt like I was properly armed with the information I needed to keep and breed these creatures, and luckily it contained at least a little bit on all the species I currently want to work with, as well as bringing a few new ones to my attention for consideration. It is definetly a step in the right direction for the hobby you love so much and it sounds like, at least with me, it accomplished its goal.

I do feel like it could have been improved upon in some ways, but those ways are very few, and all completely organizational - something of a moot point, considering it is actually many books in one. Despite the repitition on some points between chapters and the differences in elaboration, there are few things I would change about what's there! Definetly a must have, with how sparse solid nuggets of information are.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Orin's book, The ultimate guide to breeding beetles is a great book in my opinion. I have Chinese books and they are all pretty cheap softcover's. Orin's book is well written and made of quality materials. Orin, thank's for not shipping more jobs to China just to make more profit off low quality materials and cheap Chinese labor, bad quality control etc... Nice to see people who actually care about their reputation and Country.

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I bought one its my first beetle book. I'm a noob to the beetle world.