Howdy!

Mirandarachnid_

Hi!

Miranda here, from the panhandle of Texas.

I mostly keep T's, but I'd rather hang out with things that have more than two legs, so I'm expanding my horizons a bit.

....Okay, the glow worm I found is really to blame for my presence here. I'll research through this forum a bit, and likely post something with some pictures and what I've found out to get a little advice.

Welcome!

Regarding the glow worm you found:

English names cause much confusion. Your worm may be a lampyrid larva/flightless adult, a phengodid larva/flightless adult, or possibly even something else. Each of these animals has rather different care needs.

I suggest you post a pic on Bug Guide so their experts can identify it.

Good luck! :)

Welcome!

Regarding the glow worm you found:

English names cause much confusion. Your worm may be a lampyrid larva/flightless adult, a phengodid larva/flightless adult, or possibly even something else. Each of these animals has rather different care needs.

I suggest you post a pic on Bug Guide so their experts can identify it.

Good luck! :)

I'm fairy certain what I have is a Pleotomus sp. larva, either that or Microphotus, but my bet is on Pleotomus.

Once I get a little more time, and some better pictures I will start a thread about it, it's a very neat critter. I've had it about a month, and I've been feeding it snails. (hunting for snails in locations where there's not likely to be pesticides in the panhandle of Texas, during the winter is a fun activity for all ages!) It seems to be doing well, and has molted once in my care.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

I'm fairy certain what I have is a Pleotomus sp. larva, either that or Microphotus, but my bet is on Pleotomus.

Once I get a little more time, and some better pictures I will start a thread about it, it's a very neat critter. I've had it about a month, and I've been feeding it snails. (hunting for snails in locations where there's not likely to be pesticides in the panhandle of Texas, during the winter is a fun activity for all ages!) It seems to be doing well, and has molted once in my care.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Great, it should be a lampyrid. Larvae of many beetles are hard to identify by appearance alone, so I still suggest you ask some experts :)