Disturbing pupa?

So I am pretty sure that on 4/21, or earlier, my two male Allomyrina dichotoma made pupal cells and may have pupated. I am wanting to disturb them and check and take photos if they are indeed pupa.

Any suggestions about doing so or would this be advised against?

If I was to do so, how should I put them back in afterwards? I recall mention of placing them in peat cups.

Thank you in advance. I am just eager to see this stage of life up close in personal.

I do it all the time. If you have an idea of where they might be in the substrate it is easier, but just dig down with a plastic spoon until you feel something solid, then carefully clear away the dirt. If you make a small hole in the cell you can leave them as they are. If the cell breaks or you make a large hole you will need to create an artificial cell.

Remember, beetles usually need to flip over when they eclose, or their wings and elytra might have trouble forming. So if you create a cell it will need to surround most of pupae and be close enough for them to catch with a leg and flip over.

I know exactly where they are, as I can see from the bottom. So, that's good. I'm afraid I will mess it up if I try to dig around. I'm still confused of how to go about making an artificial cell. Do you have any photos of how to go about making a pupal cell for them if ruined?

Also, I've searched YouTube and I've seen pupa transformation that weren't in pupa cells..just in clear container to view. Why is that?

I dug out my male and one of the females and relocated them into their own artficial pupal chamber made from floral foam. They both eclosed successfully and will soon become active in a few days. I second what Beetle-Experience said and would like to add that when you're making artificial pupal chambers you should add ample amount of moisture since pupae are prone to desiccation.

If you're afraid you might mess up then it's totally fine to just leave them be since my two other females were left in their original pupal chambers and they also eclosed successfully!

There's a really good video on YouTube that shows you how to make artificial pupal chambers step by step with floral foam, you should check it out!

One thing I may also add is that I tend to put the enclosure on the side when I'm digging to prevent any dirt from falling into the pupal chamber and risk having a mismolt.

I am actually not entirely sure what that means. Placing them laying down would be horizontal and vertical would be standing up in the hole? If that makes sense. I need more of a visual by what that would mean... but I am going to do what I think would work I suppose.

Just make sure the females have completed their pupal chambers and have lost mobility or they will construct a new pupal chamber once you've destroyed the original ones, or they will crawl around and even out of the artificial pupal chambers.