Does Anyone here Check on their larvae?

Yes, religiously. From late L2 until early-mid L3 I check all larvae every two weeks. Once the mid L3 (if we're talking DHH) reach 50> grams, they're moved into larger totes and then get a check every 30 days. After larvae reach 105> grams and/or begin to yellow, they're moved into even larger tubs to begin pupation. After this stage they're left alone for approximately 2 months before checking on them again. This allows larvae that are still putting on weight to continue to do so, while also giving mature larvae a larger window of time to construct pupal cells.

These "checks" give me an opportunity to weigh the larvae for my records, as well as sift the substrate through a soil sieve to remove any and all frass. I also use this time to replace any eaten FS with fresh to maintain a consistent substrate depth, and add my protein supplements (if doing so).

Yes, religiously. From late L2 until early-mid L3 I check all larvae every two weeks. Once the mid L3 (if we're talking DHH) reach 50> grams, they're moved into larger totes and then get a check every 30 days. After larvae reach 105> grams and/or begin to yellow, they're moved into even larger tubs to begin pupation. After this stage they're left alone for approximately 2 months before checking on them again. This allows larvae that are still putting on weight to continue to do so, while also giving mature larvae a larger window of time to construct pupal cells.

These "checks" give me an opportunity to weigh the larvae for my records, as well as sift the substrate through a soil sieve to remove any and all frass. I also use this time to replace any eaten FS with fresh to maintain a consistent substrate depth, and add my protein supplements (if doing so).

When I said like the d Hercules breeders I mean the videos I watch on yt of breeders checking on their beetles.

I have m Sleeperi

• 1 month later...

I didn't check on my larva, which I thoroughly regret. I isolated my largest L3 D. Tityus. The container i put him in was too well ventilated and the substrate tried out. I didn't realize this until I went to change the substrate again months later. This time he had shrunken dramatically and appears very sick. My L2 is now larger than him. I thoroughly regret not checking. Now I worry if he will develop to be a very tiny beetle.

I'm debating refridgerating him in an effort to force him to winterize and potentially give him more time to grow and develop.