Worth it to buy the Lucanus "grab bag?" at BiC

Right now, Peter is listing Stag Beetke Larvae. The problem is, it might be Elaphus, but it might be Capreolus or Placidus. I would like to have a breeding pair if Elaphus. Is it worth the chance you might not get a breeding pair of Elaphus? Has anyone else bought one of these grab bags?

Thanks.

I would say it’s worth it, but I’ve never bought one before so I don’t know. If there aren’t any bad reviews I’d say it’s worth, but first make sure that these species aren’t native to your area (then you could just collect them).

Just make sure you buy enough larvae to put the odds in your favor. First you need to have the odds that you have a male and a female. Then you have the odds of the larvae making it to adult. As you know, having a death between larvae and adult happens. Then the timing of the female and male emerging at the same time so they can mate. I'll let the experts with Lucanus give their opinion on how many larvae you need to start with in order to have a good chance at getting a 2nd generation.

Then you have the odds of the larvae making it to adult. As you know, having a death between larvae and adult happens.

A second to this, as I'm painfully experiencing. I only purchased 4 of both species I started out with, and I've experienced a death in both, which in such small numbers also drastically reduces my chance of getting both male and female.